Hood Solar Panel Installation Experience for 110W Land Rover Discovery LR3/LR4
Much Thanks Chad’s Installation Experience of His 110W Land Rover Discovery LR3.
Why Chad Want to Install This Customized Hood Solar Panel
Chad said: A few years ago I purchased a cheap 80 watt solar panel on ebay actually installed it on the hood of my Land Rover LR3 hood because I thought this is great space for a solar panel. It actually worked a couple of years, but it wasn’t great, The panel itself wat not that efficient of a panel and ended up failing, which I was expecting, But it got me thinking and researching and then i found this company called Hood Solar. an up-and-coming solar panel company that specializes in unique and custom size flexible hood solar panels for vehicle applications. When I came across their company, they had just released a custom fit hood solar panels for the Toyota FJ Cruiser…I loved the look and needed one for my LR3! Fast forward to early 2021 as they just announced a custom fit flexible hood solar panels for the Land Rover Discovery LR3 and LR4!!!! I was pumped and couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.
YouTube Video Available At
110W Hood Solar Panel for Land Rover Discovery LR3/LR4, the solar panel installation on the hood and charge the vehicle battery
Hood solar panel mounts to the hood/bonnet of your vehicles. And charge the vehicle battery, leisure battery or power station(jackery, goal zero…etc) .
Keep your fridges, lighting, phones, cameras, radios, etc everything else charged. Do not worry a dead battery while camping/off the grid.
Perfactly shaped for the hood of the vehicle. Easy to install plug and play wiring.
Hood Solar Panel Feature
1. Keep your vehicle battery or auxiliary battery topped up all the times without the need to start your engine. Your battery will charge every time your vehicle is parked in the sun, run your fridge and recharged all electronic devices and lights. Without worring about a dead battery while out exploring.
2. Keep your power station charge，the solar panel come with standard solar connectors, use adaptors(buy separate) charge for most of the power station on the market, Jackery/Goalzero/Suoki/Flashfish…etc. If you are not sure which adapter to use please contact us.
3.Decreased hood glare. The surface of hood solar panel is a high-quality ETFE film, which will not reflect light. And because the solar panel’s light absorbing properties, the decreased glare while driving.
4. Convenience and space saving. The hood solar panel adheres directly to the vehicle’s hood, requiring no roof rack or mounting hardware. The complete plug-and-play system can be installed easy. Unlike a portable solar panel, there’s no need to set it up or stow it inside of a vehicle, which can eat up precious cargo space.
5. Protect and extend battery life：As a result our batteries are only at about 60% charge at best if you drive it daily, if you park it for 2-3 weeks it won’t start in the summer. Also the battery goes bad in 2-3 years. Hood solar panel keep the vehicle battery charge to maintain the battery.
6. The optional Plug-and-play 10A Waterproof MPPT solar charge controller, has been pre-wired with fuses, terminals, and connectors. The Solar charge controller is based on common negative design and advanced MPPT control algorithm, with intelligent protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, short-circuit, and reverse current.
This solar controller compatible with Various Battery options: Sealed, AGM, Gel, Liquid and Lithium-ion.
Click to check 10A Waterproof MPPT Solar Controller
7. The optional custom-fitted vinyl decal protects the vehicle paint from damage. Highly suggests using a vinyl decal between the solar panel and hood.
110W ETFE Flexible Hood Solar Panel Feature
1. Solar cell: Grade A PERC Monocrystalline solar cells with much higher efficiency and more durability than other mono solar cells.
2. Premium EFTE Film: This film features superior light transmittance and weatherproof performance, and is also heat, corrosion, and UV resistant. ETFE also has self-cleaning abilities, ensures the best performance day after day.
3. Backboard: Durable fiberglass substrate backboard, better heat dissipation than PET backboard which ensures a long lifetime. ETFE film and fiberglass backboard can withstand extreme environmental conditions, maintenance-free for years.
4. Ultrathin & Lightweight: At only 3mm thick, the hood solar panels is powerful, waterproof, lightweight(60% less than the conventional solar panels), durable, and highly resistant to the harsh operating conditions of a marine environment.
Peak power: 110W
Solar cell efficiency: 22.5%
Maximum power voltage: 23V
Maximum power current: 4.78A
Open circuit voltage: 26V
Short circuit current: 5.26A
Power allowance range: +/-3%
Maximum system voltage: 500V
Net Weight: 3.5kg/7.7 lbs
J-Box: IP 68 rated with 2m/6.5ft cables and MC4 connectors
Values at standard test conditions: Air Mass – AM1.5, Irradiance – 1000W/m2, Cell Temperature – 25°C
This is a short term review of new hood mounted 110W hood solar panel for the Land Rover LR3/LR4 2005-2016. The panel shipped very fast, with good packaging and damage free. With the help of a buddy, I first installed a custom vinyl wrap on the hood of my LR3 to act as an under layer to mount the panel so it can be removed in the future if necessary. From a visual perspective, the vinyl wrap also frames the hood while helping the panel to blend in with the vehicle. I used 3M VHB tape to attach the panel to the hood and then black silicone around all the edges to keep water from finding it’s way under the panel.
I love how it looks on the hood of the Rover and contemplating getting another one for my wife’s LR4! It’s super clean, looks like it belongs and gives functionality to an otherwise unusable space. So far functionality is great too as it’s feeding a lot of power to my dual battery system so I can run my fridge, lights and keep my kids digital devices charged up at camp. 🙂
In addition to the hood solar panel of Land Rover’s LR3/LR4, we also offer hood solar panels for Land Rover defender 90, Land Rover defender 110.
In addition to Land Rover, we also offer the hood solar panels for most off-road SUVs and all various of brand trucks on the market, such as the hood solar panels of Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Hummer, Jeep, Isuzu, Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, Suzuki.
If there has any questions or advice, please contact us or call us in the following information from Mondays to Fridays. Any wholesale requests just call us or email us, thanks.
Tel: US +1 (307) 228-1355