Hood Solar Panel Installation Experience for 90W Land Rover Defender (2020-present)
When we are preparing for outdoor off-road activity, whether it is a short trip of two to three days or a long trip of more than a few months, we need to solve the power supply for our vehicle to keep the small equipment in it working stably such as car refrigerators, speakers, mobile phones, tablets, computers, lights, etc.
We can choose to charge the portable power bank or the vehicle’s main battery, but both require a solar panel to charge them regularly, the development of the Hood solar panel is a wonderful idea, it only needs to be installed on the hood then can continue to charge the battery whether if the truck is starting or not. The 17.5V working voltage can charge most 12V devices. The hood solar panel is only 3mm thick and it looks like a part of the car after installation.
Yes, for those who love off-road, we need a kit of hood solar panels all.
Much Thanks to Grant’s Installation Experience About His 85W(Now Updated to 90W) Land Rover Defender Hood Solar Panel.
YouTube Video Available At
Land Rover Defender (2020-present) 90W Hood Bonnet Solar Panel
Hood solar panel mounts to the hood/bonnet of your vehicles. And charge the vehicle battery, leisure battery, or power station (Jackery, goal zero…etc)
Keeps your fridges, lighting, phones, cameras, radios, etc everything else charged. Do not worry about a dead battery while camping /off the grid.
Perfectly shaped for the hood of the vehicle. Easy to install, plug and play wiring.
Hood Solar Panel Feature
1. Keep your vehicle battery or auxiliary battery topped up all the time without the need to start your engine. Your battery will charge every time your vehicle is parked in the sun, run your fridge, and recharged all electronic devices and lights. Without worrying about a dead battery while out exploring.
2. Keep your power station charged， the Defender hood solar panel comes with standard solar connectors, use adaptors(buy separate) charge for most of the power stations on the market, Jackery/Goalzero/Suoki/Flashfish…etc. If you are not sure which adapter to use please contact us.
3. Decreased hood glare. The surface of the Defender hood solar panel is a high-quality ETFE film, which will not reflect light. And because of the solar panel’s light-absorbing properties, the decreased glare while driving.
4. Convenience and space-saving. The Defender hood solar panel adheres directly to the vehicle’s hood, requiring no roof rack or mounting hardware. The complete plug-and-play system can be installed easily. Unlike a portable solar panel, there’s no need to set it up or stow it inside of a vehicle, which can eat up precious cargo space.
5. Protect and extend battery life： As a result, our batteries are only at about 60% charge at best if you drive it daily, if you park it for 2-3 weeks it won’t start in the summer. Also, the battery goes bad in 2-3 years. Hood solar panel keeps the vehicle battery charged to maintain the battery.
6. The optional Plug-and-play 10A Waterproof MPPT solar charge controller, has been pre-wired with fuses, terminals, and connectors. The Solar charge controller is based on a common negative design and advanced MPPT control algorithm, with intelligent protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, short-circuit, and reverse current.
This solar controller is compatible with Various Battery options: Sealed, AGM, Gel, Liquid, and Lithium-ion.
Click to check 10A Waterproof MPPT Solar Controller
7. The optional custom-fitted vinyl decal protects the vehicle paint from damage. Highly suggests using a vinyl decal between the solar panel and hood.
90W ETFE Flexible Solar Panel Feature
1. Solar cell: Grade A PERC Monocrystalline solar cells with much higher efficiency and more durability than other mono solar cells.
2. Premium EFTE Film: This film features superior light transmittance and weatherproof performance, and is also heat, corrosion, and UV resistant. ETFE also has self-cleaning abilities, ensuring the best performance day after day.
3. Backboard: Durable fiberglass substrate backboard, better heat dissipation than PET backboard which ensures a long lifetime. ETFE film and fiberglass backboard can withstand extreme environmental conditions, maintenance-free for years.
4. Ultrathin & Lightweight: At only 3mm thick, the solar panel is powerful, waterproof, lightweight(60% less than the conventional solar panels), durable, and highly resistant to the harsh operating conditions of a marine environment.
Peak power: 90W
Solar cell efficiency: 23%
Maximum power voltage: 17.5V
Maximum power current: 5.14A
Open circuit voltage: 21V
Short circuit current: 5.65A
Power allowance range: +/-3%
Maximum system voltage: 500V
Net Weight: 2.5kg/5.5 lbs
J-Box: IP 68 rated with 2m/6.5ft cables and standard connectors
Values at standard test conditions: Air Mass – AM1.5, Irradiance – 1000W/m2, Cell Temperature – 25°C
I installed the 85-watt system with a charge controller on my 2020 Defender 110x. The solar panel install was easy with two sided automotive trim tape and plugs right into the charge controller. Just a positive & negative connection to your battery jumper posts in the engine bay and your done. The blue tooth app lets you see how the panel and your battery are doing with a few different metrics. It looks great on the hood and works well!
In addition to Land Rover, we also offer the hood solar panels for most off-road SUVs and all various of brand trucks on the market, such as the hood solar panels of Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Hummer, Jeep, Isuzu, Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, Suzuki.
If there has any questions or advice, please contact us or call us in the following information from Mondays to Fridays. Any wholesale requests just call us or email us, thanks.